Friday, February 7, 2014

The Tyrant's Daughter by J.C. Carleson

I received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review. Thank you to Miss Carleson and her publisher for this opportunity.

"The Tyrant's Daughter" is about a girl, her mother, and her brother who run from their country to the United States in exile after her father is killed in a revolt against the dictator-whom just happens to be her father.
This was a very difficult story for me to get into. I was very interested to read this particular story. The family is from a middle eastern country. That interested me very much. I was interested to read how much of the culture the author actually wrote into the story. Was she going to keep the family immersed in their culture? Was she going to have them integrate immediately. Would the young girl instantly jump into the American culture or would she find comfort in the familiarity of her culture? Would they be looked at with hate and ignorance considering the wars that we are fighting in the middle east? Unfortunately, I was not really able to answer any of those questions. I only reached page 38 before I gave it up. To me, this story was way too middle-schoolish. For me, I have no doubt that the young girl was in the middle school age range. That for me is too young. Don't get me wrong, I do read some books in that category. My son and I read "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" together when it came out, but he was in the sixth grade. But for me, "The Tyrant's Daughter" just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment