Saturday, April 12, 2014

Win the Rings by K.D. Van Brunt

Win the Rings

Official description:
The most valuable weapon that the U.S. Army possesses aren't guns, bullets, or tanks. They're kids-trained kids...lethal...special. Jace is one of them. She has been the property of the U.S. Army since they found out about her when she was five. But Jace is not the only one of her kind. Gray is one too, but with the help of his sister, he has spent most of his sixteen years hiding from the Army. 

Now, the Army has found out about Gray and they cannot allow him to roam free. Operating on the theory that it takes one to catch one, Jace is send out with a special ops squad to hunt Gray down. But Jace is not the only one pursuing Gray, and the competition is after her too. What ensues is a desperate chase through city after city as duty and honor collide with love and sacrifice.

I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review. Thank you Mr. Van Brunt for the opportunity.
I can describe this book in one word: AWESOME!
I really wish I had started reading this book on the weekend, Then I would not have had to put it down. I was intrigued to find out the story behind the title. Bringing a piece of Roman history into his story was very smart. It helped me to better understand the motivation behind Jace.
With my military background I was excited to read that the setting started in Fort Meade, a place I have been, but I also gained respect for Mr. Van Brunt when I read his adherence to military protocol through out the story-in as much as possible considering the story contained teenagers in the Army. 
I normally do not like stories that bounce back and forth between characters' perspectives, but Mr. Van Brunt did an excellent job of keeping the story line congruent. I never became confused about what was going on with which character. 
His characters were developed so well that I was able to develop a type of relationship with each character. Jace went from being a cold, heartless soldier to a born leader, to a teenager with feelings determined to save herself and others like her. Gray went from being an immature boy who listened to his sister, but really wanted to rebel any way that he could within reason, to a strong young man determined to save his sister and help her finally live and normal life. 
I found myself anxious to read the next chapter, wanting to know what was going to happen to the characters next. I pretty much liked everything about the book. The only think I disliked was that the book ended and I have to wait for the next book to come out to find out what comes next.
Mr. Van Brunt has earned himself a fan who can't wait to read more of his work!
I highly recommend this book. Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment